JKS editors and editorial board welcome submissions year-round for publication. JKS is published bi-annually in the spring and fall.
Thematic issues are confirmed two years in advance. Those who have a publication track record and interest in guest editing a thematic issue may send a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and a sample call for papers or a list of potential conference papers to the address below.
Article manuscripts, including notes and bibliography, should be at least 7,000 words and no more than 10,000 words. Please submit a Microsoft Word (not a PDF) copy of the manuscript via email. Notes should be at the end of the text. For endnote style and documentation format, consult the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th ed. (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2010).
JKS uses double-blind review, which means that both the reviewer and author identities are concealed from the reviewers, and vice versa, throughout the review process.
To facilitate this, authors need to ensure that their manuscripts are prepared in a way that does not give away their identity. To help with this preparation, please ensure the following when submitting to the Journal of Korean Studies:
- Submit the Title Page containing the Authors details and an abstract of 200 words or fewer, and Blinded Manuscript with no author details as two separate files.
- The Title Page should include the title, authors’ names and affiliations, and a complete address for the corresponding author including telephone and e-mail address. An abstract of no more than 200 words should also be included and should provide a clear idea of the main arguments and conclusions of the article.
- The Blinded Manuscript should be free of names and affiliations under the title within the manuscript. There are other steps that need to be taken to ensure the manuscript is correctly prepared for double-blind peer review. To assist with this process, the key items that need to be observed are as follows:
- Use the third person to refer to work the Authors have previously undertaken, e.g. replace any phrases like “as we have shown before” with “… has been shown before [Anonymous, 2007]” .
- Cite papers published by the Author in the text as follows: ‘[Anonymous, 2007]’.
- For blinding in the reference list: ‘[Anonymous 2007] Details omitted for double-blind reviewing.’
- Remove references to funding sources
- Do not include acknowledgments
- Name your files with care and ensure document properties are also anonymized.
Romanization of Korean words and names must follow the McCune-Reischauer system. Materials that have been accepted for publication or are being considered for publication elsewhere should not be submitted to JKS.
For detailed information about manuscript criteria, please consult the PDF files listed below.
Please send an electronic version (email attachment) of the article manuscript to:
The Journal of Korean Studies
Center for Korean Research
907 International Affairs Building
Columbia University MC3333
420 West 118th Street
New York, New York 10027